Welcome to Part II of the series where we create a sacred circle of protection when we want to use it as we do our spellwork. As I stated in Part I, protection magick is some of my favorite magick to discuss and teach. A reason for favoritism is that when people learn protection magick, they are defending themselves, protecting their energy and sanity, establishing boundaries, and breaking unhealthy relationship patterns. What’s not to love?
Before we dive into casting a circle, I want to address a few common sense points to remember prior to using protection magick. These reminders are very important as it will reinforce and add to the strength of your protection magick. Think of it as a car having working breaks, working airbags, and you’re wearing your seatbelt for reinforcing protection while driving to the best of your abilities (of course besides having the emergency breaks and abiding by the speed limit).
Keep in mind the following:
- Practice being aware of your surroundings
- Believe in your intuition when something feels “off”
- It’s okay to say “No.”
- It’s okay to not go to a party.
- Lock your doors and windows
- Don’t tell everyone your business
- Be careful about what you post on social media (For example, post/check-in yourself at a place AFTER you leave)
- Stay away from negative people who don’t add value to your life
- Tell trusted people where you’re going and who you’re meeting when you’re going to a meetup, date, etc, and make it a public well-lit place
Okay. Now that we have gotten many common sense points out of the way, let’s get to the spell work.
As a reminder:
You are the magick. How powerful your magick is has nothing to do with how detailed it is. In actuality, the power of your emotional intent, your imagination, your belief, and how you feel at the moment.
Casting a circle has many purposes that include:
- Keeping unwanted entities away from you and your work.
- Creating a sacred circle with heightened energy to add to the potency of your spell work.
- When invited, provides a protective sacred space for you and the divine spirit you want to connect with.
Here’s how it works:
1. You can visualize this, use your hands, finger, or athame to name a few.
2. Say, “As above so below. As within so without. This circle is sealed so mote it be.”
3. While saying the words “As above so below..without.”, direct your hands (or visualize, etc) up and down. Then towards your chest and away from your chest.
4. While saying “This circle…be.”, walk clockwise until you come to your starting point of your circle. Now, it’s complete!
5. Cleaning the circle. When you are done with your work in the circle, you’ll say while pointing, “As above so below. As within so without. This circle is open but never broken.”
- If you need to leave the circle, because you forgot something or have to go to the bathroom, for example, you will have to create a “door” instead of breaking the circle by walking over the circle.
- To create the door, you use your hand (or athame, etc) and begin by pointing at the floor and draw a door in the air. Step out. Close the door by doing the same action to open it. When you return, do the same thing to open the door. When you re-enter the circle, close it.
- What you invite in the circle, you must return. So, if you invite the goddesses or the guardians of the watchtowers, you thank them and can say, “Merry meet and merry part until we merry meet again.”
- Some people use salt or stones to create the circle. It’s not mandatory.